Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Trial Run

I decided it would not be in my best interest to wait until my first day of work to figure out how to ride down to the Galleria. So today I did a trial run to uncover unknown obstacles and time allotment.

Here is a map of my intended route (you can use the zoom feature to see more and the move hand like in regular Google maps, don't bother looking at the larger image):


View Larger Map

The route is a keeper (7.4 miles one way) with a few issues.

Heights Blvd has a wonderful bike lane that goes all the way to Hwy59. I start almost all my bike trips on this road because of the space designated for bikes only. Below is the map of Height/Waugh/Yoakum bike route--Love it:


View Larger Map

One thing I don't understand is why from Heights towards downtown, Washington has a bike line. While towards Memorial Park it is an unmarked "Shared Lane" whatever that means. I received one of my 'Love Taps' as I like to call them along this section of road. A love tap is when a car makes contact but doesn't do any damage. I average about 1 a year.


View Larger Map

Once in Memorial things improve to a separate bike trail. That is until you reach the raised train tracks crossing Memorial Drive. The city is in the process of constructing a pedestrian path over the road, which is a fabulous idea. In the process of said construction they have closed off the path and put in stairs down an embankment so pedestrians can avoid the work zone. It works but according to the worker I talked to, they are going to keep working on sections trail once the bridge is completed and close off parts as they go. Possibly forcing me and other bikers onto Memorial Drive.


View Larger Map

On the other side of 610 there is a nice, separate bike trail that runs along the access road of 610S. The trail ends at Uptown Park Blvd and an unmarked "Shared Lane" takes me to Post Oak.


View Larger Map

This is where all bike friendly accommodations end. The last 1.0 miles is on Post Oak. Straight up traffic.


View Larger Map

According to the Bikeway map I use to plan my routes, there is no bike path/trail/shared lane that enters the Galleria area. In fact south of Memorial Park to Hwy 59 and east/west from Yoktown to Weslayan is totally void of any part of the Bikeway Network. These are some of the most traffic clogged roadways in Houston, maybe the addition of a few safe routes around the area for bikers would be to the city's benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment