Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dumb Ideas

Of all the dumb ideas, who decides to ride their bike everywhere in a city the size of Houston. Even if it is just inside a loop. Bleh!!!

The regret stems from not making it to dinner with friends last night.
Plan: meet up for dinner and then head to a Bollywood festival in Herman Park at 8pm
Problem: rain
New Plan: meet at 6:30 for dinner
Problem: out of work at 6, 40min bike home, take dog (not mine, loaner) for a walk, 45 min bike down to restaurant
ETA for me to get there: after 8pm.

I would have begged the dog walk off on someone had he not tried to bite 2 people the day before. I really didn't feel like I could call a friend, ask them to walk said dog and then as a closing line throw in, "by the way it appears he snaps at runners he gets within striking distance of. Thanks."

So anyway the time line of events:
6:15 left work
7:00 got home
7:05 walked Sir Bites-A-Lot
figured out route to dinner using all bike lanes (I'm feeling pretty happy about this accomplishment...until i write them out longhand)


View Larger Map

Written out the directions looked something like this:
S Heights Blvd
R W Dallas
L Dunlavy
R Clay
L Woodhead
R South Blvd
L Hazard
R Bolsover
L Greenbriar
R Rice
Total distance: 6.1 miles
I'm not quite so impressed at this point. I'm also starting to think I'm going to need a home lamination machine, a hole punch and lots of string so I can hang zig-zag directions like these from a handle bar.

7:30 Leave house
10 min and 1.5 miles later I realize I don't have my cell phone.
This is an issue because as of right now I don't carry a spare tube, patch-kit or air on my bike. Meaning a flat in the wrong spot and I'm walking. Fine when I am inconveniencing myself. Not fine when people are waiting for me and may imagine me dead on the side of a road when I don't answer my phone for the 2 hours it would take me to roll my bike someplace.

7:50 back home, really wanting to say fuck it, jump in my car and go hang out with my friends. Instead I send a text message telling them to give me a call if they decide to change locations and I'd give it another good 'ole college try.

7:51 commence pouting

7:55 get a text telling me they are headed to Onion Creek, a bar 1.1 miles from my place. I have really good friends.


View Larger Map

Written Directions (no lamination or string required)
S Heights
L White Oak Blvd

8:50 Commence drinking beer
11:45 Ride home followed by a friend who was yelling my speed from the car window (25mph)
12:00 Realize I did not close out my tab
12:02 Ride back to Onion Creek
12:45 2 advil and bed

No comments:

Post a Comment