Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rain Riding

I would like to state that I am a fan of riding in the rain. As a general preference I would much rather show up someplace wet due to rain as opposed to sweat. Considering Houston is so humid, it is the latter that is typically the case.

Today was one of those rainy days. I got up early so I could go swimming, good plan until the rain blew in and the lightning started up. Instead of putting some good time into the pool I curled up on the couch, read the NYTimes online and drank coffee. Not such a bad plan either.

I did have a moment of doubt about riding in today. That moment actually lasted from about 7am when the rain started till 8:30am when I finally sucked it up, threw all my work stuff in a Ziploc, and jumped on my bike. The radio was warning drivers about the weather, I figure it counted double for cyclists.

Usually Memorial Park is teeming with bikers, today I saw one compatriot. We gave each other a passing smile, which in my mind said 'that's right sister, you are a bad ass.'

My only issue on my ride to work occurs at the crossing point where I switch from the Memorial Drive bike trail to the trail that runs along 610. There are 2 points that I have to cross daily which are not protected by a light or stop sign. They are the rt turn lane from 610N access rd onto Memorial Dr and from Memorial Dr onto the access road of 610S. Usually the problem is people stop their car in the middle of my lane, making it necessary for me to hop the edge of the curb and coast around behind them (never in front because I don't trust them to look my way before they gun it to get going).

The problem at the point is, who exactly has the right of way? I stop when the cars are moving unless one stops and motions for me to go. But occasionally the cars are stopped and I am hesitant to move unless I make eye-contact with the driver and we exchange signals stating that they understand that I will soon be occupying the space between their headlights and they have no intention of smashing me.

Today I thought I had effectively communicated my movements with a stopped driver. Apparently not, nothing happened, but I did get to witness him throw a hissy fit because apparently my sudden presence in front of his car was enough to set him off.

Anyway I made it to work in one piece. Wet but extolling the virtues of Patagonia rain coats for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment